Agronomy Manager for agribusinesses in Latin America and the Caribbean
Location: Bogota, Colombia or San Salvador, El Salvador
Contract: Employee following trial period
Travel: Up to 75% local and international travel
Reporting/Supervisor: General Manager
The Clinton Giustra Enterprise Partnership (CGEP) is a social business builder that brings entrepreneurial solutions to global poverty. We build from scratch, invest start-up capital, and manage agribusinesses that work with smallholder farmers and fishers. We improve the livelihoods of farmers and farming communities by improving agricultural productivity, creating job opportunities, and facilitating long-term market linkages. CGEP has built agribusinesses in Colombia, Haiti, El Salvador, and Indonesia with plans for expansion in LAC.
Acceso Colombia and Acceso El Salvador, agribusinesses built by CGEP, are leading smallholder sourcing company in their countries. The businesses sourcs fruits and vegetable and fish and seafood from smallholder farmers and fishers and sell the products directly to national retailers and restaurants.
1. Position Description
The Agronomy Manager will develop and oversee sourcing plans in existing and future CGEP agribusinesses throughout Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). The Agronomy Manager will work with CGEP agribusiness managers to analyze sourcing opportunities, develop and execute training and technical assistance plans and improve farmer productivity and production quality to meet procurement standards.
2. Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities
The duties listed below are intended as illustrations of the types of duties that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this position.
Crop analysis and selection
- Analyze supply volumes, production costs and market prices, including seasonal volatility;
- Evaluate current yields and yield improvement potential;
- Identify current and optimal production locations.
- Evaluate production locations and develop sourcing strategy;
- Develop and deploy supplier recruitment activities;
- Organize producer cycles to stabilize supply to meet business demand.
Training and technical assistance
- Develop crop, region and country specific producer training and technical assistance programs;
- Launch and oversee training activities;
- Evaluate training effectiveness and make adjustments as needed to improve impact;
- Evaluate innovations and equipment to improve land preparation and planting operations.
- Explore and develop collaboration opportunities with NGOs, input suppliers and governments to provide training and technical assistance.
Post-harvest management and quality control
- Oversee post-harvest management and quality control protocol development;
- Optimize procurement procedures to reduce losses and costs;
- Evaluate innovations and equipment to improve procurement operations.
- Evaluate and deploy contracting schemes to meet procurement targets;
- Develop procurement strategy and targets by technician and region.
3. Education, Work Experience & Languages
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in agribusiness or rural development projects, ideally targeting fresh fruits and vegetables;
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing teams leading producer development and training initiatives, procurement activities or deployment of innovations (technologies, equipment or inputs);
- Experience in strategic production planning, post-harvest management, quality control and procurement to meet business needs or program targets;
- Experience in design of procurement contracts and training and technical assistance programs for agribusiness suppliers or rural development projects;
- Experience researching and deploying innovations to increase yields, lower costs and/or improve production quality;
- Experience working in LAC is required
- A Bachelor’s degree in agronomy, agro-industry or related field (Master’s degree or MBA preferred);
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and business sense;
- Willingness to travel throughout LAC;
- Advanced user of MS Office Suite applications;
- Oral and written fluency in Spanish and English; oral fluency in French preferred but not required.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Agronomy Manager” by August 15, 2019