Business Development Manager for agribusinesses in Latin America and the Caribbean
Location: San Salvador, El Salvador
Contract: Employee following trial period
Travel: Up to 75% local and international travel
Reporting/Supervisor: General Manager
The Clinton Giustra Enterprise Partnership (CGEP) is a social business builder that brings entrepreneurial solutions to global poverty. We build from scratch, invest start-up capital, and manage agribusinesses that work with smallholder farmers and fishers. We improve the livelihoods of farmers and farming communities by improving agricultural productivity, creating job opportunities, and facilitating long-term market linkages. CGEP has built agribusinesses in Colombia, Haiti, El Salvador, and Indonesia with plans for expansion in LAC.
Acceso El Salvador, an agribusiness built by CGEP, is the leading smallholder sourcing company in El Salvador. Acceso sources fruits and vegetable and fish and seafood from smallholder farmers and fishers and sells the products directly to national retailers and restaurants.
1. Position Description
The Business Development Manager, initially based in San Salvador with a focus on Acceso El Salvador, will identify, develop and oversee new business opportunities in existing and future CGEP agribusinesses throughout Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). The Business Development Manager will work with CGEP agribusiness managers to analyze new opportunities, develop operational and financial plans and oversee new business operations. Pending the needs of CGEP agribusiness managers and their local teams, the Business Development Manager will support on-going operations as required.
2. Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities
The duties listed below are intended as illustrations of the types of duties that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this position.
Identify new business opportunities
- Develop pipeline of new business opportunities and potential partnerships;
- Lead preliminary assessment of financial, operational and social impact;
- Lead conversations and develop relationships with potential partners;
- Identify new sourcing regions, service providers and buyers;
- Develop pipeline of and engage with potential co-funders and investors.
Develop business plans
- Develop detailed and complete financial projections and operational plans;
- Calculate return on investment and create pitch deck presentations;
- Secure sourcing commitments, service provider offers and purchase agreements;
- Identify risks and develop mitigation plans;
- Recruit new team and experts required to execute plans;
- Present opportunities to partners and secure co-funding or co-investment.
Oversee new business activities
- Oversee all activities related to set-up, launch and ongoing operations;
- Transition oversight to local teams or new management;
- Establish legal entities and obtain certifications;
- Secure formal purchase commitments and establish contracts with service providers or partners;
- Assure new operations achieve financial, quality, social and operational targets;
- Support ongoing reporting requirements and respond to external due-diligence questions and requests for information.
3. Education, Work Experience & Languages
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in agribusiness or rural development projects, ideally targeting fresh fruits and vegetables;
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in research or development role, procurement activities, deployment of innovations (technologies, equipment or inputs) or quality control/assurance;
- Experience in business development, strategic production planning, post-harvest management, quality control or procurement to meet business needs or program targets;
- Experience working in LAC is required
- A Bachelor’s degree in agronomy, agro-industry or related field (Master’s degree or MBA preferred);
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and business sense;
- Willingness to travel throughout LAC;
- Advanced user of MS Office Suite applications;
- Oral and written fluency in Spanish and English; oral fluency in French preferred but not required.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Business Development Manager” by August 15, 2019